Monday, March 21, 2011

Conducting Chaos, screen shots





























Screen shots from "Conducting Chaos," shot last week with the help of Ben Hirt. Editing in progress...

6 comments:

Joshua said...

stunning images brett. could you display the final pieces in the same light or can that effect only be captured on film? and what are your current thoughts on how you would share/display/document this work?

(also, tell the swiss man to give me a call if he needs any help editing. I'd be happy to pass along a few fcp pointers)

Joshua said...

sorry, one more thing... for me, this project seems deeply rooted in its relationship to time. are there other ways that you could control or manipulate this variable, in real time as a material based solution, or in your representation?

cylinder said...

same question as josh, will this be a video piece as well as photos?

what got you interested in experimenting with the idea of an lcd and the heat up of glass? In the video it does have that cellophane look of bubbling up. How many pieces of glass are layered in front of the camera that your heating up? what is causing the colors to happen(glass color, heat)?

I wonder where you can push this in working with optics.

Bryan M. Wilson said...

I think the strongest element of this emerging project is the imagery. I don't think there needs to be much in the way of "informing" the audience as to science/physics involved. The material and technology will speak to these qualities on it's own...

When the piece is ultimately shown, I would consider a projection better suited for the video.

Brett Swenson said...

This work has definitely presented many possibilities that go beyond the video Im working on right now. Im expecting the video and its installation to address the issues of time and technology, but Im also starting to think about what could come next. I think a larger scale projection is in order to further explore the idea of conducting light, perhaps incorporating actual music that I am conducting to (live performance?) A photo series is also something Id like to pursue, as well as taking the physical panes and reconstituting them onto another sheet of glass. The bottom line here is that theres more to come from this initial video piece, and I appreciate all the feedback.

Bryan M. Wilson said...

While I understand where the time/light connection is coming from in the material research, I don't know if the piece is explicitly addressing that.

Conducting light...what about a lightning project?