Monday, March 21, 2011

The Rad Sponge

The beginning of a new body of work, addressing time, technology, and the biological world.




"Athanor--The Rad Sponge" depicts a glass sponge carved out of uranium glass.  A plaque attached to the display box informs the viewer of the United States' involvement in testing hydrogen weapons in the Pacific Islands.

4 comments:

Brett Swenson said...

Welcome to the party. I like how this turned out, its easily accessible and visually pretty great. I think the wood box presentation is cool, kind of suits the fragile structure of the sponge. I wonder though about a more significant container. When I think of radioactive material containment seems to be at the forefront of concern. If this sponge were "dangerously" radioactive, which the glowing kind of implies, I might expect to see it in something more protective and stable. As it stands it seems threatening to approach in the sense that it could have been constructed before people knew any better about the dangers of radiation... which is also cool.

Bryan M. Wilson said...

If there is a "point" to this work, it has more to do with the creation of a visual aesthetic/experience that is referential to the past and scientific precedents, but is outside the constructions or expectations of the scientific/historical model.

In the end, there is a theatricality to the kind of work that I want to be doing--this work, and others like it, could easily operate as theatrical or cinematic thoughts...

...someone please argue.

Brett Swenson said...

Cant argue with that, you've just described my artist statement.

Bryan M. Wilson said...

Ok, for some reason, I put "thoughts" down instead of "props"...weird.