Takwin is a concept of medieval Islamic alchemy referring to the metaphysical and material process of generating vegetable, animal/human, or mineral life. The later work of Paracelsus expressed the idea that metals and minerals are living substances grown within the earth that experience growth and death. This is a quick test animation of obsidian inflating/deflating inside of a cage, its movement reminiscent of lungs. I'm thinking about a more compelling video shot through a window in the kiln, alluding to the ideas of artificial life (homunculus), mineral life (prima materia), and the essential element of heat in alchemical processes.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Thermal Breath
Takwin is a concept of medieval Islamic alchemy referring to the metaphysical and material process of generating vegetable, animal/human, or mineral life. The later work of Paracelsus expressed the idea that metals and minerals are living substances grown within the earth that experience growth and death. This is a quick test animation of obsidian inflating/deflating inside of a cage, its movement reminiscent of lungs. I'm thinking about a more compelling video shot through a window in the kiln, alluding to the ideas of artificial life (homunculus), mineral life (prima materia), and the essential element of heat in alchemical processes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love the rawness, x-ray feel and look of this video. The cage reminds me of an iron maiden torture device. It creates tension/physical discomfort of the lungs breathing.
I agree with cylinder concerning the rawness. The lens/color lends itself well to the feeling of heat and stress, but I feel it could be more effective in conveying the feeling of the intensity of creation if the animation were slowed down so it feels like the lungs are struggling to draw breath, although it still looks good at this speed as it gives a feeling of almost panic/agitation
jolly good... yes I would like to see the video slowed down as well. I think that will be most splendid.
Nice Work Brett!
I mostly agree with Anon. I think that a slower pace would help get the feeling of breathing as opposed to gasping. As it is right now if feels more like a beating heart. I think slower pace would allow the viewer to enter more deeply into the video and consider nature of the material's transformation and the interaction with the cage.
I would also think about toning down the video effects. While I really do enjoy how they elicit connection to early film motion studies and scientific test footage- it feels a little bit punk-industrial-rock gimmicky, (like a nineinchnails video) which I find likely to dismiss.
I am loving the shape of the enclosure. It's a great balance of structure/organic and scientific/alchemic. Keep it coming!
Post a Comment