Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Electromagnetic Siliceous Formations



The newest iteration of E.S.F. The pieces are colored with black copper oxide, transitioning from dark blue to white with various copper wire inclusions and set in a custom display case. All formations were created using a microwave.

3 comments:

James said...

like the gradient consideration. can't make it out but why are they hanging?

is the color and copper added after the microwaving happens?

Brett Swenson said...

The hanging ones are a mess of wire connected by smaller growths of glass, so the only way to really display them is by hanging them. They also seem to be more dynamic, and I'd actually like to add more of them to fill the space a little better. The copper oxide and wire are mixed in with the raw silica prior to formation, and in fact the wire is essential to the way they are formed.

Bryan M. Wilson said...

You know that I really enjoy this work, but I think something is lost is showing so any of them together...remember how great it is to have the SINGLE piece of trinitite/aerogel/(x) specimen?