Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cyanoacrylate Cultures





















Some recent experiments made by adding super glue to water/ water to super glue with various additives. Thinking about the difference between growth and life...synthesized organisms...

2 comments:

Bryan M. Wilson said...

Brett, can you explain more about what's going here, technically? I'm curious.

So much of what you're doing is straddling between abstraction and scientific model. There is a tautology that is in full effect, broadly speaking, but what do you want people to take away? Does that matter?

Brett Swenson said...

I'll start with a cm or so of either water or super glue in a petri dish, and basically I add one to the other. Water cures the glue almost instantly, so the method in which the two are combined determines the way that the "cultures" form. Usually there's an initial reaction, and then the cultures continue to "grow" over a period of several days. Anything added to the water (i.e. ink, glass powder, ethanol) effects the outcomes in interesting ways...

This has mostly just been a material experiment so far, but its coming from an underlying interest in challenging presumption by creating something that's initially accessible while simultaneously maintaining a certain amount of obscurity or mystery. Im not as interested in conveying a particular experience with work like this as I am in providing for the experience itself, whatever that may be. Id like people to take away a heightened sense of curiosity, whether it be technically or conceptually based. However my intentions may become more specific as the work evolves.