Matt, this is the video I was referring to. I'm more interested in ideas of embodied work, ritual, duration, and effort creating its own meaning, than I am in the editing/documentation of the piece. Thinking about incorporating similar ideas into your project, but open to any inspiration you may have.
4 comments:
Knowing whats behind the video, its almost like this edit reverses the work from you to the machine- It feels like the wheel is somehow effecting you.
it's hard to tell whats going on exactly. is your left hand turning a little device on the stick? where is the smaller circular device where it turns a little bit every time the larger wheel fully rotates? this is very cool and I can't wait to see what your genius mind comes up with. This is also giving me some great ideas for the tattoo.
Brett, I can see the reversal that you're referring to; an unintended, but i think meaningful observation. "feedback" is a word that always seems to be in my thoughts, though very undefined.
Matt, yes, the left hand is turning the little device on the arm which causes the larger wheel to move a small amount. the chain stops there, and a full rotation of the large wheel has no payoff outside of the act itself. For this piece, I think it was particularly important for there not be a "big finish", leaving the meaning to lie only in the, very arbitrary, act itself.
As for your piece, I'd love to make it very specific to ideas that have been haunting you. So feel free to point me in a direction and let me know what's on your mind these days. Or I will just run with it...
(Side note about the blog: is there a way to have the comments always visible? Or a way to allow everyone to make changes to the blog itself? Might be nice to have it constantly in flux.)
I just gave all the current contributers administrative access. I cant figure out how to make comments always open on the main page, but if someone can figure that out it would be nice. Might have to mess with some code though, didn't seem to be an available option.
Post a Comment